As an overall update from this project, I have learned from method card, interviews and previous homework assignments, the topic of urban environmentalism is too large in scope to effectively pursue within this semester. However, as I have mentioned in my previous posts, I have found the following insights:
- decreasing the education gap to highlight issues of climate change
- making actions for environmentalism more convenient
- focusing on reducing large scale consumption via food and materialism
- incorporating urban environmentalism with current ideas and seemingly more urgent act (e.g. promoting increase in fresh fruits and vegetables in urban spaces and increasing access in food deserts as a way of tying in better health conditions for current residents and decreasing environmental impact)
Based on these insights, I have narrowed my focus to be the first point — eliminating the education gap around issues of climate change. The ability to learn about these issues particularly through a none politicized platform is the element that gets people thinking about and acting on issues of climate change the most. As such I curated the following questions using the methods recommended:
- How might we increase education and awareness on issues of climate change and steps to combat it in an evolving space?
- How might we increase knowledge about climate change and promote actin as the background information changes?
- How might we disseminate new climate change information with a message of hope?
- How might we make an educational campaign on climate change like the campaign against cigarettes?
- How might we make updates about climate change apocalyptic while still conveying the urgency?
- How might we depoliticize updates about climate change?
From these questions, I realized the issues that I care about is disseminating information where the information itself may change over time and how do we get groups of people to trust in changing data and adopts these change. As such, I have settled on the following how might we question recognizing that it still may be a little general.
How might we increase knowledge about climate change and promote action as the background information changes?
From there I have created the following 10 divergent ideas:
- Create an ad campaign surrounding how the information has changed and keep changing –> leading to the idea we can make change and stop climate change
- Create an early education learning platform to institute the fight on climate change at an earlier age
- Partner with smart home companies keep an electronic visualization of everyone’s carbon footprint
- Mandate a state specific training upon 18th birthday or when you move there teaching the states recycling policy
- Similar to that of a getting a driver’s license
- Incorporate environmental impact information around food in a similar way calories are included
- Create a reality tv/documentary series addressing the issues of climate change –> installments also include the latest updated information
- Art exhibits that demonstrate current damage to the planet and what that could currently look like
- Create a virtual reality experience showing earth as it used to be, earth today and earth projected at our current rate and earth at various protective actions
- Photo series in nationally acclaimed papers showing area most impacted by climate change
- Ad campaign showing what “luxury” goods are at stake if this continues
- Running supermarkets without produce most vulnerable if climate change continue
- Running ad campaigns detailing that Caribbean island vacation destinations will disappear –> new vacation destination could be the Midwest
- Send receipts/reports of where past electronics are and for how long
- Within this vein tracking where personal waste remains
- Visual art of plastic waste in high traffic places for long periods of time to show how it doesn’t degrade
- Children TV show focusing on the environment